As I continue my journey of eliminating meat from my diet, increasing my vegetable intake, and introducing alternatives into my diet, I have created a new must-have dish that everyone will enjoy!
My Meat Free-a Tortillas are easily adaptable for the non vegetarian however I think once you try this dish you will find you don't need meat for a fulfilling meal!
I initially made this dish as I was having a strong craving for food similar to what I ate on my trip to El Salvador (check out my next entry for a look at a few dishes I enjoyed on my journeys). The cuisine in El Salvador incorporates lots of beans, tomatoes, and queso blanco or queso fresco. Enjoy the following recipe and I hope it triggers a desire to visit Latin America as much as it triggers your taste buds!
Queso blanco or Queso Fresco
Pico de Gallo (I used my Salsa de Nuno which you can find here)
Lots of lime!
1. Take a corn tortilla and wrap it in a moist towel then microwave for a few seconds to soften (I wish I had another way of doing this!)
2. Heat the refried beans on the stove and stir until softened - usually you will see them boil a bit in case you cannot tell if they are ready
3. Place the refried beans on the tortilla and smear to cover as if making a pizza
4. Add the sour cream on top of the refried beans in the center, this will aid in holding the salsa in and is a great combination of hot and cold on top of the beans!
5. Place a small spoonful of the Salsa de Nuno on the layer of sour cream. I suggest using a straining spoon as I find the salsa will begin to run due to the lime and make for a very messy but fun meal!
6. Sprinkle the queso blanco on top
|Espero que disfrute su comida!|